National Honor Society
NHS and NJHS
NHS and NJHS is an inclusive program open to all students who choose to apply themselves and consequently meet the four established criteria or pillars of scholarship, leadership, service, and character. Sophomores, juniors and seniors are eligible for NHS while 6th and 7th graders are eligible for NJHS. Selection to either NHS or NJHS is a privilege, not a right. NHS and NJHS are separate entities therefore NJHS members must go through the selection process for NHS.
Eligibility into NHS and NJHS begins with a minimum GPA, however, GPA does not guarantee acceptance into NHS or NJHS. It is only a qualifying prerequisite. Students must also complete the selection process in order to be considered an acceptable candidate for NHS or NJHS. Deadlines are set in the selection process and failure to meet any deadline will affect the candidate's eligibility.
The following is a guideline of the NHS selection process. NJHS has a similar but modified selection process. Academically qualified students will be given detailed information once they choose to participate in the selection process. Student candidates will be responsible for:
- Student Activity Information Form. This form is to be completed by the student and must be submitted by the given deadline.
- Confirmation information for any service activities listed on their Student Activity Information Form - must be submitted by the given deadline.
- Student essay (topic to be given at the start of the process) - essay will be handwritten by the candidate - must be submitted by the given deadline.
- Two letters of recommendation from adults, outside of the school, who are not family members (options include but are not limited to Pastor/Youth Pastor, Coach, Instructor and Volunteer Supervisor) - must be submitted by the given deadline.
Also included as part of the selection process:
- Teacher evaluations - these are confidential forms submitted by the candidate's teachers that evaluate student performance in the four criteria or pillars.
Once a student has provided the necessary forms and information; that information, along with teacher evaluations, will go before the Faculty Council where membership of the student will be decided by a majority vote. The NHS and NJHS have high expectations for students especially regarding their character. Therefore, any student who has exhibited behaviors that would be considered lacking in character will not be eligible for the NHS or NJHS. Such behaviors would include, but are not limited to the following: incidence of cheating, suspension, pattern of late work, and any other violations of the student code of conduct.
An induction ceremony will be held in the spring for all new NHS and NJHS members. Candidates must attend the induction ceremony in order to become a member of NHS or NJHS.
** The above email links will only work if you have a default email program installed on your computer **
Notes: Download the form (must open with Adobe for fields to be fillable); fill in the fields; save document; email to Ms. Oglesby
Notes: Download the form, print form, sign and return original form to Ms. Oglesby